Planting a Drought Resistant Box
When it comes to creating containers that will flower during the summer holiday season, then the plants need to be tough and able to shrug off healthy neglect. Few plant families better fit the bill than ornamental grasses, and as for a perennial that thrives in the most inhospitable places, then look no further than Verbena bonariensis, which now comes in a delightful miniature form called ‘Lollipop’. Plant ‘Lollipop’ in the centre of a sturdy wooden crate, so that its spikes of luminous purple flowers meld with the encircling grasses. Pile up compost around ‘Lollipop’, before planting a different grass in each corner, filling in the gaps with soil and firming in.
Images and slideshow
- Click on a thumbnail to jump to its associated image.
- To quickly look through the images, use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard.
- Click the icon at the top-right corner of the image area to enter full-screen mode.
- To exit full-screen mode, click the close button (top right) or use the esc key on the keyboard.
Buy this feature for use in your publicationWhat’s in a feature package:
- 25-50 high resolution jpegs
- Full captions in spreadsheet
- In-depth text of 800+ words