Woodpeckers in September
A garden as beautifully conceived as this suggests a masterplan, but in fact the owners’ approach was simpler — they simply started from the house and worked outwards. Close-by, a summerhouse is approached between twin mixed borders, whilst ‘rooms’ evolved for a greenhouse, raised deck, box parterre, grass walk, orchard and twin herbaceous borders that create an unrivalled ebb and flow of colour and texture. Overlooked by a pretty Shepherd’s Hut, the borders are composed of repeated clumps of sedum, Japanese anemone, salvias, cosmos, asters and Verbena bonariensis, separated by a catmint-edged grass path that leads to a potager, a formal arrangement of four square raised beds in which cutting flowers vie with vegetables and fruit.
Images and slideshow
- Click on a thumbnail to jump to its associated image.
- To quickly look through the images, use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard.
- Click the icon at the top-right corner of the image area to enter full-screen mode.
- To exit full-screen mode, click the close button (top right) or use the esc key on the keyboard.
Buy this feature for use in your publicationWhat’s in a feature package:
- 25-50 high resolution jpegs
- Full captions in spreadsheet
- In-depth text of 800+ words