Sam’s Garden August
Enclosed on all sides, the 9m x 12m space is filled with vivid evergreens such as the tall Trachycarpus palm, Australian tree fern, huge-leaved rice paper plant, loquat tree or cordyline lord it over dwarf fan palms, brightly coloured coleus, cannas and agapanthus. A terrace immediately abutting a modern kitchen extension is veiled by an arch and low fence smothered in fragrant star jasmine. Unusually, Sam has opted for black paint on the fences to provide a backdrop that shows off the architectural planting at its best. The central area is laid with a circular path of a composite flooring material that encloses a bed planted with colourful crocosmias and lilies. Tucked away in the furthest corner is Sam’s potting shed which overlooks a small circular still pool.
Images and slideshow
- Click on a thumbnail to jump to its associated image.
- To quickly look through the images, use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard.
- Click the icon at the top-right corner of the image area to enter full-screen mode.
- To exit full-screen mode, click the close button (top right) or use the esc key on the keyboard.
Buy this feature for use in your publicationWhat’s in a feature package:
- 25-50 high resolution jpegs
- Full captions in spreadsheet
- In-depth text of 800+ words