Tough Winter Flowers
Winter flowers are all the more precious for their scarcity, a joyous sight that neither wind, frost nor even a blanket of snow can suppress. For, even though the garden appears to sleep, nature is very much awake as a select cast of remarkable flowers take centre stage to be applauded. Yet, these are no blowsy show-stoppers of high summer, but petite, retiring blooms that project subtle colour, fragrance and sensuality onto a stark, wintry stage. the stars include witch hazels, hellebores and fragrant daphnes, whilst even the tiniest — snowdrops, winter aconites and delicate clematis — have great presence. At this time of year, there may seem little reason to leave the fireside, but these beautiful flowers should tempt you outside.
Images and slideshow
- Click on a thumbnail to jump to its associated image.
- To quickly look through the images, use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard.
- Click the icon at the top-right corner of the image area to enter full-screen mode.
- To exit full-screen mode, click the close button (top right) or use the esc key on the keyboard.
Buy this feature for use in your publicationWhat’s in a feature package:
- 25-50 high resolution jpegs
- Full captions in spreadsheet
- In-depth text of 800+ words