Celebrity Gardeners’ Tips
As the season unfolds, some well-known gardeners have some useful tips. Rachel de Thames’ include raised vegetable beds 1.5 metres wide — easily accessed, without need to step in and compact the soil. Chris Beardshaw urges keeping chemicals to a minimum: ‘A garden without wildlife is almost without soul and has no energy to it.’ From Andy Sturgeon come tips on creating and maintaining stunning borders that ripple with star plants and reliable stalwarts. For Kim Wilde, extending the season beyond June is a vital, especially since her favourite plant is the cardoon — ‘the rock star of the border, showy and with lots of attitude.’ Alys Fowler enthuses about self seeding plants and quick growing salad leaves, whilst Raymond Blanc shares his passion for fresh food and edible flowers.
Images and slideshow
- Click on a thumbnail to jump to its associated image.
- To quickly look through the images, use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard.
- Click the icon at the top-right corner of the image area to enter full-screen mode.
- To exit full-screen mode, click the close button (top right) or use the esc key on the keyboard.
Buy this feature for use in your publicationWhat’s in a feature package:
- 25-50 high resolution jpegs
- Full captions in spreadsheet
- In-depth text of 800+ words